Wednesday 29 January 2014

Papercut Practise

Papercut art star


A little while ago I tried my hand at papercutting.

My friend and fellow blogger Emma Daniels, who I've known since we were this big...




...is a very talented papercutter and she's recently started running workshops at Baker & Barista in Ipswich. She was holding her first craft workshop over the Christmas period and she wanted to try it out on a few friends first. So myself and a couple of others got together to have a papercutting lesson, complete with wine and snacks.


Papercutting craft night wine and nibbles


Emma started us with some simple designs that she had drawn; we started cutting along straight lines and then graduated to curved ones.


papercutting craft night workshop


Eventually, when we'd got the hang of using the scalpel, we created our own designs for a Christmas bauble papercut. My incredibly unimaginative design included my two pets, Jack and Otis, in a cheesy festive motif.


Papercut design


Cat and Dog Friends


It took me forever to cut, but it was a lot of fun.

Christmas papercut in progress

Christmas Papercutting Workshop


Finally, I had my very own Christmas papercut.


Christmas Papercut


I was pretty proud of it, but I don't think it really compares to any of Emma's work.


Papercuts by Emma Daniels
Papercuts by Emma Daniels


Amazing, huh? I don't know how she has the patience.

The Christmas workshops at Baker & Barista went really well; in fact they were so popular that Valentine's Day and Mother's Day papercutting workshops have now been scheduled. If you're in the Ipswich area and want to create a unique papercut for a special someone then book yourself onto one of the craft evenings. There's also free cake, amazing incentive!




Check out more of Emma's work on her blog: www.made-by-ed.blogspot.co.uk

P.S. Apologies for the rubbish photos, they were taken with my rubbish phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment